As you probably already know, once you purchase a domain name, you will need to set up the domain so that it will point to your new site. If you've never done this before, don't worry – it's actually pretty easy after you figure out how to do it the first time.
If you've already purchased a domain name, most domain registrars will allow you to manage what they call the "DNS zone records" where you can manage where the domains will point to.
The way we often suggest doing it is by changing what's called the "a" record which is changed within the DNS Zone. This will make it so your website will point to the right place and the domain will always show in the address bar (instead of the old site URL that shows there beforehand).
If GoDaddy is your domain registrar, follow the steps below to change the "a" record to point to your new site. (Note: if you don't have GoDaddy, the steps will be similar, but not exactly the same. You can still use these steps as a guide).
1. Log in to GoDaddy and on the top right of the screen, hover your mouse over your name. A menu should pop up that looks like this: http://bit.ly/2GvtHmr
2. Under “Control Panel Links,” click “Manage My Domains.”
3. Find the domain you want to use for your site on the next screen, and click on it.
4. You should be taken to a "Domain Settings” page. Scroll down to the bottom until you see a list of links that looks like this: http://bit.ly/2HxERIk. You’ll want to select “Manage DNS.”
5. You should see an entry already in there at the top with an "@" symbol or a "www" that points to an IP address, or it might just say “Parked”. This is the "a" record. Click the pencil icon to the right of it to edit it, as shown here: http://bit.ly/2BDBE9E
6. Under the “Points To” field enter the IP address: 18.104.22.168 as shown here: http://bit.ly/2EWUydE and then save.
7. Now all you need to do is let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org when you've completed all these steps, and we will then also configure the domain on our end as well to make sure your domain is working properly!